Tag : gingerbread
Enjoy these decadent gingerbread waffles with a hot cup of your favourite nourishtea. We recommend a full bodied black tea like our Duke of Earl to best compliment the spicy flavours in this recipe. Your winter will feel warmer in no time!
You will need:
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour* (or 3/4 cup of unbleached all purpose flour and 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour mixed)
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- Slightly less than 1 cup of milk (Between 3/4 and a full cup)
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Add egg, molasses, pumpkin puree, oil, brown sugar and whisk. Add milk and stir once more.
- Add flour, baking powder and spices to a sifter and sift over wet ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Ideally, let batter rest for 5 minutes before cooking.
- Once preheated, generously spray the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and spoon about 1/2 cup of the batter onto the center of the iron and cook according to your machine’s instructions. (set to darker setting if you prefer crispier waffles)
- Once done, remove and place on cooling rack to let steam roll of and crisp up a bit.
- Serve warm with butter and maple syrup.
Serves: 4 waffles